Monday, August 24, 2015

Review (62): Dismissed by Kirsty McManus

Dismissed
by Kirsty McManus

Series: N/A
Other Reviewed Titles: N/A
Release Date:
April 27, 2015
Pages: 166
Format: eBook
Source: Author

My Thoughts: 
The start of Lizzie White’s last year of high school brings about some unexpected surprises. The biggest being her very hot--but very off-limits--new English teacher. Every girl in school has their eyes on Brandon Thomas, who is unlike any of the other teachers; he is young, sexy, and in a totally cool band. Lizzie decides that the situation is futile so she sets her feelings aside and focuses on her budding romance with a fellow student, Gabe. However, things get a bit complicated when Brandon’s twin brother, Jason, shows up. Jason has no quarrels when it comes to getting involved with one of Brandon’s students so that’s exactly what he does. 

I found a lot of faults within this. My biggest issue is that the book is probably 90% dialogue. No time was really focused on describing things, instead everything is straight up told to us which takes away from the reading experience in my opinion. The whole thing--plot, characters, drama, conflicts--just did not seem believable in the slightest. Lizzie speaks to Gabe (her classmate) on the very first day of school for the very first time and by that afternoon they have already decided that they want to be boyfriend/girlfriend. As for her romance with Brandon, they have a total of like 2 moments where they connect and seem to like each other. But again, two whole conversations does not make an amazing romance or relationship. Another issue I had was that Jason is portrayed as the player, but by the end he isn’t actually any of these things and is really just “misunderstood”. The problem with this is that it all happened out of the blue and without any character development whatsoever.

I also didn’t particularly like Lizzie. She complains all the time about what a terrible friend Taylor is (and she’s right, don’t get me wrong), but at the same time she never says anything and continues to let Taylor mistreat her. I can’t stand when anyone--whether they be real or fictional--constantly plays the victim. 

I really wish I had liked this because the premise is something I usually enjoy, but there were just way more problems than redeeming qualities. This is a really short read which is a plus (and probably what got me all the way to the end) and the cover is super cute, but other than that this just wasn't for me. 


* Thank you to the author and publisher for an eARC in return for my honest review *

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE getting and reading comments. Knowing what you guys have to say really helps me figure out if you are enjoying what I'm posting or not, so thank you.