Monday, June 15, 2015

Review (52): Whatever Life Throws at You by Julie Cross

Whatever Life Throws at You
by Julie Cross

Release Date: October 7, 2014
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Pages: 373
Format: Paperback
Source: Library
Author Website 

My Thoughts: 
Annie Lucas’ father has just been offered an amazing opportunity as the new pitching coach for the Kansas City Royals which is how she ends up in Missouri at an all girls private school. There she focuses on track: winning meets, breaking records, and getting noticed by college scouts. Jason Brody, the new Royals’ rookie pitcher, somewhat blindsides her when she realizes that she has actual feelings for him. But he has a sketchy past, a playboy image, and is obviously off limits—because he’s a major league baseball player and all. As their friendship turns into something more, the two of them try to find a way to make things work despite all that keeps getting in their way. 

I honestly finished this in about two days. I loved so many things about this book: the plot, the characters, the writing. Just everything! The relationship that Annie has with her father is something I’ve always craved with my own. They are just so sweet, caring and protective of each other. Annie’s relationship with Brody is also well written. Their relationship slowly progressives from a very close friendship which I liked. It was a gradual shift and there were a lot of scenes where they take the time to actually get to know each other; they share secrets and pretty much talk about anything and everything. I hate when romance is one of the biggest aspects of the plot yet it is rushed and ends up being lackluster. Luckily this was not the case because their love seems very genuine.

I loved Annie and Brody together, but individually they are also great characters. Annie is driven and sassy. I felt that she was pretty mature despite that being one of her biggest insecurities. And despite his sordid past, Brody is hardworking, patient, and loving. He has completely changed his life around in such a short amount of time which is admirable. I felt sorry for him at times because of how young and alone he seems; he just wants someone to acknowledge that he isn’t a terrible person and be accepted by his teammates. 

There is a bit of sexual content, so be aware if that is something you are not comfortable with.  (I would definitely categorize this as more NA than YA.) I found it particularly refreshing because it was not super graphic, but it added to their relationship and made it that much more real. Those scenes honestly made me love Brody that much more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE getting and reading comments. Knowing what you guys have to say really helps me figure out if you are enjoying what I'm posting or not, so thank you.